(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)
Constructed in 1854, Ivy Creek Methodist Church originally was part of the Mulberry Beat in Autauga County. The Church served the communities of Hamilton, Huckabbe (Evergreen), Milton, Statesville, Mulberry, and West Autaugaville . Ivy Creek Methodist Church was constructed for $2800 and named after the lovely mountain laurel, known locally as Ivy, which grew along the creek banks. In 1887, Mallard's Chapel members joined with Ivy Creek members and the combined membership chose the Ivy Creek sanctuary as home.
The historicasl and architectural significance of this church was recognized in 1934 when the U.S. Department of the interior's Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) photographed the church as part of its reconnaissance of early American architecture. These photos are preserved in the Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress.
On May 29, 1955, the church celebrated the 100th anniversary of the founding of its Sunday School. Ivy Creek Methodist Church celebrated its 150th anniversary on May 16, 2004.
Ivy Creek United Methodist Church is located west of Autaugaville off State Highway 14 just west of CR 9 North. GPS: 32.459722, -86.782222